Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Games Support Multiple Learning Styles | Edutopia


After reading an article called , Games Support Multiple Learning Styles | Edutopia,| I had a complete Ah-Ha experience. I have a set of 6 iPads that I use in my kindergarten classroom. My group of boys kept getting on the gaming section on the iPad during free time. The boys were over the moon about a game called Minecraft. I couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about but I was in my teacher mode and all I could think is that they need to be playing something educational so until I could check it out I redirected them to a Toca Boca app. Little did I know that Minecraft is a huge hit in the gaming world and is one of the most sold downloadable games ever. There are Monsters in the game but the game can be set on sensitive mode and all the Monsters will be removed. The game allows the children to use their imaginations to build and explore. My boys were glued to the iPad, I literally had to take the iPad and pry their hands away.

Minecraft is a 'sandbox" game that let's you build almost anything out of blocks that look like Legos. 

The link below has some great ideas on how work Minecraft into your class curriculum.
Real-world Examples - MinecraftEdu wiki




2 comments :

  1. I think a lot of times we think a video game must not be good, but actually some of them are very educational if they have to input or build into the game. I have even found free websites that let the students design their own video games. That is real life authentic learning! They are reading, writing, creating and problem solving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just starting to wrap my head around the benefits of using "gaming" in the classroom. I think the kids would really enjoy designing their own video games.

      Delete