Two years ago I began implementing iPads into my kindergarten classroom. We now have some iPads in the Child Development Center and several in first grade. Recently all teachers were given an iPad to allow them time to become familiar with how the iPad works in hopes that we will continue adding iPads to each class sometime soon.
We are looking at investing on either iPad 2 or iPad minis for the media center. I am on the technology committee and we have been assigned with the task of researching iPad management, storage, and transportation from room to room. The BIG question that needs to be decided on first is ..... What version would work best for our school? Do we want to purchase iPad 2 or iPad minis? I am looking at it from a K-3 perspective since I teach kindergarten.
iPad mini is a 7.9 inch screen $319
iPad 4 measures 9.7 inch screen Costs $499
iPad 2 $399 Doesn't have retina display or Siri- which we don't need anyway
- The iPad minis require a different charger than what we're using now. It's just easier if everything is interchangeable.
- The screen size is smaller.
- The iPads are heavy for the younger children.
- The iPad has a larger screen which is great for creating and playing learning games. The keypad is a good size for little hands that are still mastering fine motor skills.
- iPad has better productivity software
- IPad mini would be easier to manipulate when the children are doing projects that require them to take pictures or video. They would also be useful for listening centers.
- The iPad mini going is easier for the younger students to hold and manipulate when playing games.
- The mini can do everything that the iPad can do.
- We can use the same apps because the mini uses iPad apps.
We could purchase and store more minis at a lower cost.
These are the pros and cons that I've come up with. If anyone has anything to contribute that would help make a decision please comment below.